Caliente: translation ‘hot’; as in hot-sellers. Thanks to the popularity and our current love affair with Malbec, it has opened us up to other tremendous wine values from South America. Here is a list of some South American wines I’ve tried with budget friendly pricing!
1. Catena Malbec Argentina | $15
Found on many wine lists and well stocked in wine shops; this is a less expensive offering than their Alta line.
2. Catena Chardonnay Argentina | $14
A well made Chardonnay at this price point is a steal!
3. Casillero Del Diablo Carménère Chile | $10
Carménère is a member of the Cabernet family of grapes, a medium body wine with fruity flavors and smoky essences.
4. La Posta Cocina Blanco de Blancos Argentina | $14
An unoaked blend of Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc and Torrontes medium body and refreshing.
5. Casa Lapostolle Cuve Alexandre Cabernet Sauvignon Chile | $23
Slightly higher priced than the others in this list, and requires a bit of decanting to reach
6. Crios de Susana Balbo Torrontes Argentina | $11
A bargain Torrontes you’ll want to take along on picnics!
7. Zuccardi Q Malbec Argentina | $20
The Q stands for Quality. The Zuccardi wines are outstanding and a great value.
8. Santa Julia [+] Viognier Argentina | $10
A refreshing delicious wine with peach aromas is a staple at my house.
9. Santa Rita 120 Cabernet Sauvignon Chile | $10
Named to honor the 120 patriots who battled for Chile’s independence in 1814; it’s a great crowd pleasing wine. I’ve served this and their Sauvignon Blanc at large parties at my home.
10. Clos De Los Siete Argentina Blend of Malbec, Merlot, Syrah & Cab Sauvignon | $15
Let this decant for an hour or two, a bold blend earthy wine.
11. Tierra de Luna Syrah-Malbec Argentina | $10
I first tried this wine as a happy hour offering at Mediterraneo in Hermosa Beach, CA. I thought I’d move on to other wines as the night progressed but stayed with it, it was that good! I was thrilled to see it offered at my local wine shop in Annapolis, MD for way under $10
12. Cono Sur Sauvignon Blanc Chile | $15
Available pretty much everywhere and at bargain prices even lower than $15, not a complex wine, but certainly keep on hand for summer barbeques.
Let me know if you’ve enjoyed any of these wines, or if you’d like to propose a #13 to this list. Cheers!